Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Lightening the load

I've been working with a company out of Atlanta named Verco Materials and you can follow them on my website through the link there. They have an amazing technology capability to form boron carbide into complex shapes. Now what does that mean and why does it matter? B4C is the third hardest material known to man. After you form the B4C into a shape you're done. It is very difficult to machine it to a different configuration. The B4C is 60% the weight of Titanium and four (4X) times as hard. It is a ceramic material so using it as lightweight body armor immediately comes to mind. Their process makes it extremely hard and dense and in complex shapes. It is also very abrasion resistant. I'm amazed by the many potential applications that I've been investigating to use this new material to make better longer lasting products. If you have applications, please contact me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home